As a community-based school, the ICS relies upon parental involvement in many ways. Along with partnering with parents in stewarding their children's educational development, the ICS encourages parents to work with us as volunteers. In fact, at the start of each school year, parents sign a Student-Family-Teacher Contract, which includes committing to at least 20 hours of volunteer work at the school throughout the year.
We have many volunteer opportunities from which to choose, including:
Guest readers, tutors, craft project developers, and visitors to talk about their occupations. We can also use playground helpers for our younger grades, as well as assistance during lunch.
We offer our students quite an array of after-school clubs (which meet from 3:20 - 4 p.m.), including chess, current events, walking, athletics, and role-playing games, and our teachers who direct these clubs can often use parental assistance.
Our front office can use help with copying, mailings, filing, and lamination.
The ICS music teachers need assistance with choral concerts and variety shows, including:
- Monitoring students waiting for auditions and seeing that they report to After Care
- Constructing backdrops and/or sets for the variety show (fall event)
- Running spotlights during the variety show
- Running sound equipment for the variety show and/or choral concerts
- Playing piano at choral concerts
- Setting up and breaking down tables and chairs at choral concerts and the variety show
We also could use chaperones for skating parties and dances throughout the year.
In order to maintain and build upon our school's work with Keep Indianapolis Beautiful, Inc., we have an ongoing need for planting, weeding, mulching, and generally tidying up the school grounds.
Our After Care team can use a hand with fine arts-and-crafts programming. We also welcome assistance during athletic/exercise programming.
Our parents are heavily involved in planning and chaperoning student field trips. Upcoming field trips in the works include a first grade trip to the Indianapolis Zoo.
Throughout the school year, the ICS Wellness Department hosts a number of events that could use volunteer assistance, such as Family Fitness Night(s), the President's Physical Fitness Challenge, and Field Day during the last week of school. To learn more about these specific opportunities, contact Physical Education Teacher Jennifer Smith-McNeely.
PTSA Volunteer Opportunities
The ICS Parent Teacher Student Association is wholly dependent upon volunteers for its success, and there are a number of opportunities for you to contribute, including:
- Membership Chairperson: in this role, you will lead the PTSA membership drive as well as manage the membership list and dues payment tracking.
- Volunteer Coordinator: works closely with the ICS Client Services Manager to fill volunteer needs.
- Special Events Coordinator: this position oversees two major annual fundraising events for the school.
- Movie Night Coordinator: makes arrangements for the quarterly Movie Night in the school gym, where family friendly feature films are shown and refreshment concessions are available.
- Hospitality Steward: oversees menu selection and all related arrangements in serving PTSA-sponsored dinners, which take place twice a year during two monthly PTSA meetings.
- Box Tops and Labels for Education Coordinator: monitors associated program websites for upcoming deadlines and coupon redemption specials, as well as counts box tops and labels several times a year - with other volunteers - and submits them for redemption.
- Fundraiser: put your talents to work by helping to guide the PTSA's overall fundraising efforts.
If you have a unique talent or interest not mentioned above that you think might be of assistance to us, please let us know. Contact Tim Mulherin, ICS Client Services Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 317.357.5339 x132. Or contact your PTSA officers for more information on how you can help!